Replacement windows can change the entire look and value of your home. And if you haven’t changed your windows for a few decades, then this upgrade may be more of a necessity than you think. But home window replacement is not something to take lightly. Options abound from what material to choose for the frame, to what type of glass to get, and of course, which company to hire to get the job done. Dizzy before you’ve even started? Check out this comprehensive guide to finding the best replacement windows, including the average cost to replace windows, top window replacement companies, and which materials are best for your home.
Renewal by Andersen
- Average Price RangeQuotes by consultation
- Warranty20-year limited warranty
- Response TimeBooking a consultation is relatively quick
Renewal by Andersen offers replacement windows for every type of home and window requirement, from double-hung to bay to picture windows and even specialty doors and awnings. It’s got an excellent photo gallery on the website, so you can browse through various window styles and understand definitions before you make your choices.
What’s really great about this company is the free consultation anyone can receive. You’ll arrange the set-time meeting (no windows) during which Renewal by Andersen will assess your home and window replacement needs. The contractor will discuss your options, provide price quotes for the project, and answer any questions you have.
- Beautiful and strong energy-efficient products
- Long warranty
- Highly-reputable and professional company
- Warranty is limited to certain conditions
- Expensive option
Home Window Prices
- Average Price RangeVaries based on contractor
- WarrantyVaries based on contractor
- Response TimeVaries based on contractor
Home Window Prices is a simple online search portal that helps homeowners find local professionals who can do window repairs and replacements efficiently. The network is made up of over 100 expert home window replacement services, including prominent names like Marvin Windows and Doors, Renewal by Andersen, and Jeld Wen Windows and Doors. Home Window Prices partners with quality name brands, so homeowners can rest assured they’re getting the best that money can buy.
On top of being an easy online process, Home Window Prices offers some useful information about purchasing and replacing windows right on the website. Find out about different types of window ratings, energy-efficient window models, and more when you browse the clean Home Window Prices website.
- Fast online search engine
- Top window repairs services in network
- Multiple energy-efficiency levels available
- Not dealing directly with a contractor at first
- Only dealing with in-network contractors
- Average Price RangeVinyl: $800 -$4,400. Wood: $1,000-$7,900
- Response TimeWithin hours
The Home Depot is one of the biggest names in home improvements. The familiar orange logo is synonymous with making your home look, feel, and function better. So, it’s only natural that Americans turn to The Home Depot for their home window replacement needs, as well. And for a good reason. The Home Depot has a vast range of attractive and affordable replacement windows, comes with a true lifetime guarantee, and provides professional consultations, measurements, delivery, and installation.
One fun feature that The Home Depot offers that most other window replacement companies do not is the convenience of online shopping. You can pick out your windows and frames completely online. Of course, The Home Depot offers a free in-house consultation if you want more options, professional measurements taken, and more experienced recommendations. But you can do it all online if you want, and have a professional and licensed contractor deliver and install your windows for you.
- True lifetime warranty
- Licensed consults and installations across the country
- Huge variety of choices online and off
- Some branches are more pro than others
- Not as many specialty designs
- Average Price RangeVaries by contractor
- WarrantyVaries by contractor
- Response TimeSame-day quotes
Remodel Connection is another window replacement company comparison tool. One difference between this and others of its ilk, though, is the sheer numbers. Remodel Connection has a massive network of 500+ contractors to work with. So, you are getting a huge selection of the best people for the job.
Since everything is done online, Remodel Connection is a great way to figure out the average cost to replace windows in your area and within your requirements range. Answer a few basic questions, like what type of windows you’re interested in, where you live, how many windows need replacing, and whether you are repairing or replacing the windows entirely. Then, Remodel Connection connects you with the best replacement windows services for you.
- 500+ industry-leading contractors
- Fast online process
- Easy comparison tool
- Not a lot of options to choose from on the initial form
- Not a direct contractor
- Average Price RangeFree to sign up and free quotes
- WarrantyVaries by contractor
- Response TimeHow quickly will your home window replacement be handled?
Home Renovation works on a simple principle: according to the experts, you can increase the resale value of your home by 80% or more by replacing the windows. That’s a pretty good incentive for most homeowners. Home Renovation gives you easy access to a large number of reliable contractors at one time. It’s an online portal that connects homeowners with contractors in their area, so it basically takes all of the work out of shopping around.
Because of Home Renovation’s smart algorithm, homeowners will get the best prices to compare when using the simple comparison tool. You fill out a single application form, telling Home Renovation what type of replacement windows you’re looking for. Then, the system runs your information through the network of qualified contractors and returns only the window replacement companies that are relevant for you. So, you get multiple quotes instantly. It’s a good system for anyone who enjoys shopping around.
- Multiple quotes with one application
- Instant online quotes
- Large network of qualified contractors
- Not an actual window replacement service
- Not a lot of information before you sign up
- Average Price Range$90 to $2000
- Warranty10 to 20 years, depending on product
- Response Time3 to 47 days
Pella is a well-known window manufacturer with a modern website and quoting process plus a huge selection of windows. This company stands out because of the customizability of its products and its reputation for quality. Pella offers wood, vinyl, and fiberglass windows in all major styles.
While some customers have had issues with Pellas Warranties in the past, as long as you read terms and conditions carefully and install the product properly (or request the help of a qualified Pella installer), you shouldn’t have any issue. The great thing about Pella’s windows is there are options if you need special weather protection or have had issues with other windows in the past.
- Virtual or in-home Consultation
- Architectural window series
- Warranties available
- Warranties not long/broad enough
- Past Class-Action suit for trim
- Somewhat inconsistent customer service
- Average Price Range$250 to $1,500
- Warranty10 years for most components
- Response Time3+ days
Marvin produces elegant replacement windows that work with any home’s decor. The company stands out for its wide selection and the ability to fully customize your finishes and hardware. Marvin also backs its windows with a 10-year or longer warranty.
We also appreciate that Marvin works with local contractors for installation. That makes it easy to get an in-person evaluation of your home right at the start of the design process. Marvin also offers free guides and samples to help you get started with the replacement process.
- Wide variety of window types
- 10-year warranty on finishes
- Work with local contractors for installation
- Fairly expensive window options
- Warranty doesn’t cover installation
- Average Price Range$2,000 to $5,000
- Warranty1 year for labor
- Response Time1-3 days
Lowes has a wide selection of windows from major brands to help you with window replacement. The company can fit any budget, with options ranging from aluminum and vinyl to fiberglass and wood. Just keep in mind that customization options are somewhat limited.
The window replacement process at Lowes isn’t ultra-personalized. You can get a free online consultation, but not all locations offer in-home estimates. In addition, installations are done by independent contractors rather than a dedicated Lowes team.
- Affordable windows available
- Offers dozens of major brands
- Financing plans available
- Independent contractors conduct installation
- Short one-year warranty for installation