Online doctors’ appointments are the latest advancement in medical treatment. A phenomenal example of medicine meets technology, telehealth—aka online healthcare services—is revolutionizing the way people receive medical treatment. And patients are only too happy to experience the change, especially with the current focus on social distancing.New to the online doctor’s appointment scene? Here’s everything you need to know about how telehealth works, and which online doctors may be best for you.These are the best online doctors I tested and ranked:1. Best for medication refills: Web Doctors2. Best for quick care: Amwell3. Best for medical advice: SAMI-Aid4. Best for medical questions: JustAnswer5. Best for affordable care: CallonDoc 6. Best for fast treatment: Walgreens7. Best for monthly subscriptions: HealthSapiens8. Best for ease of use: Teladoc
- Best ForFast, remote health care, medication refills
- Modes of CommunicationPhone, video
WebDoctors.com is a telehealthcare service that allows patients to get urgent care and routine medical treatments 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from the comfort of their own homes. WebDoctors.com treats all kinds of non-emergency conditions, including pink eye, urinary tract infections, and upper respiratory infections. All doctors are board-certified, American-trained, and duly-licensed, so you are getting professional medical care. Plus, WebDoctors.com has thousands of positive reviews from happy clients that have used the service.
WebDoctors.com offers phone and video consultations, so you can choose the level of care you want and only pay a flat fee for the visit. This saves time, effort, and money, especially for people who are paying high co-pays for their insurance plans or need to shell out pricey urgent care center fees.
- Always available 24/7
- Prescriptions and refills available
- Phone and video consultations available
- No subscription needed
- Have to pay more for video consultations
- Best ForInstant access to medical professionals
- Price$69per visit for general medicine
- Modes of CommunicationVideo chat, phone
AmWell is a fast and easy way to get medical treatment for non-emergency medical conditions. With a tremendous network of board-certified doctors on call at all hours of the day or night, AmWell provides a convenient and valuable service to anyone who needs treatment on the spot. And at $69 a visit for general medicine, AmWell is an affordable option.
AmWell has convenient video chat appointments with HD-quality streaming, so you can speak directly with a medical professional. AmWell doctors can prescribe medications and send the script directly to your pharmacy for same-day pick-up. The easy online account helps you keep track of all of your medical visits, medications, and doctors’ notes in one organized place.
- 24/7 doctors' appointments
- Medications available
- Huge network of professional doctors
- Not all medications available online
- Can’t access AmWell internationally
- Specialty visits can be costly
- Best ForFast, convenient medical services, unique medical services
- Modes of CommunicationPhone, video, computer, app
SAMI-Aid is not like your typical telehealthcare service. It offers instant access to medical professionals, including registered nurses and certified doctors, via a convenient mobile app. Patients can get medical advice and guidance for medical issues such as dermatological problems, mental health issues, and diet and nutrition from the comfort of their own homes.
But SAMI-Aid goes even further than this, providing out-of-the-box medical services like find a doctor price comparison search and EMR cloud storage. SAMI-Aid also has a convenient medical tourism consultation service. This helps patients find the most professional and cost-efficient medical treatments from locations around the world for deep savings and better results.
- Offers unique telehealth services
- Available 24/7
- No subscription necessary
- Does not cover some types of medical issues
- Does not accept insurance
- Best ForPeople who need advice on medical issues
- Modes of CommunicationEmail, text, phone
JustAnswer is a fast and easy way to get expert medical advice on a wide range of medical conditions. From asthma to sexually transmitted diseases to the common cold, JustAnswer experts are on call to answer your questions.
JustAnswer has a subscription plan that lets you ask unlimited questions to an expert in the field. What’s more, you can ask as many follow up questions as you’d like until you are completely satisfied with your conversation. And if you have more questions, you can always come back later for further clarification.
- Fast responses
- Access to thousands of professionals
- A fraction of the expense of traditional medical care
- Video chats only available as premium service
- No medication prescriptions
- Surprise charges are possible
- Best ForFast and convenient prescriptions
- Modes of CommunicationOnline platform, phone consultations
CallonDoc is an online health platform for requesting medication prescriptions and refills quickly and efficiently. Available during extended business hours, CallonDoc doctors can write you out a prescription based on the symptoms or conditions you specify in your online application. From there, CallonDoc will send your prescription directly to a local pharmacy.
CallonDoc offers most prescriptions, including antibiotics, allergy medications, and antifungal creams. You can also get lab tests ordered, with the results sent directly to your private account. What’s more, CallonDoc can order you an STD test in a discreet and private manner.
- Faster and more convenient way to get medication
- Refills available
- Discreet STD testing
- Little to no personal interaction with a doctor
- Have to pay for each medication separately
- Not available 24/7
- Best ForAnytime appointments with short or no wait
- PriceAverages $75 for urgent care
- Modes of CommunicationVideo and phone
A trusted name in everything medical-related, Walgreens has served us all for more than a century. Now, the major pharmaceutical chain store has extended its services further by offering telehealthcare services via the well-known MDLive online doctors service. Through this partnership, Walgreens members can now get a doctor’s appointment within minutes, see a virtual doctor on their phones or computers, and get diagnosed immediately.
The revolutionary virtual doctor’s appointments are changing the way people take care of their health. No more waiting on hold, waiting for appointments to open up, or waiting in doctor’s offices until you can be seen. Get an appointment on your time schedule without having to take a day off or leave the house. Walgreens even lets you pick the doctor of your choice from the list of available physicians.
- Get an appointment any time of day or night
- Convenient system from anywhere
- Select the doctor you want
- Not available in all 50 states
- Dealing with a third-party telehealth service
- No insurance coverage
- Best ForPeople with frequent medical issues
- Price$19.95-$24.95per month
- Modes of CommunicationPhone, video
HealthSapiens is one of the most affordable online medical services out there today. Costing just $19.95 a month for individuals, HealthSapiens provides you with 24/7 access to board-certified medical professionals. They’re trained to give you medical treatment and advice on all sorts of medical conditions, including rashes, coughs, colds, diarrhea, ear and eye aches, infections, and much more.
What really makes HealthSapiens unique is that it charges a one-time monthly fee, and that’s it. You get unlimited doctor visits and 24/7 access with that flat rate. Plus, you can have your prescriptions and refills sent directly to your local pharmacy for faster pickup. HealthSapiens works with or without health insurance.
- Monthly flat-fee plans
- 24/7 unlimited access
- Prescriptions and refills sent directly to pharmacy
- FAQ section is small
- Cannot choose your preferred therapist
- Price for counseling subscription unclear
- Best ForGetting medical help from anywhere
- Price$75-$95 per visitplus subscription of $5/month, $30/year
- Modes of CommunicationPhone, app, video
Teladoc is a quick and easy way to get the medical treatment and advice you need when you need it. The network has hundreds of trained professionals on call to give you valuable medical guidance for a range of issues, including infections, rashes, stomach issues, sexually transmitted diseases, and more.
Teladoc subscriptions are affordable, starting at just $5 a month. And you can get professional counseling for mental health issues like depression and anxiety, as well. Teladoc has a great mobile app that helps you keep tabs on your medical records, schedule appointments whenever you want, and even communicate directly with your healthcare provider.
- Excellent mobile app
- 24/7 everyday care availability
- Personalized dermatological treatments
- Mental health is not available 24/7
- Only available in US and Canada