There are over 2 million home burglaries reported every single year in the United States. That breaks down to roughly one home being broken into every 13 seconds. While burglaries have declined slightly this year due to the COVID virus keeping us home more often, this shouldn’t stop anyone from taking steps to safeguard their family’s safety. So, whether you are a homeowner yourself or just renting, a reliable home security system is a must-have if you care about keeping your home, your belongings, and your family protected. Home security systems abound and features are plentiful, so it can be hard to find the right one for you. If you’re not interested in doing the homework yourself, here’s a comprehensive breakdown of our best home security systems of 2020 and what makes them so hot. Make sure that you and your family are protected this holiday season.
- Best forComprehensive home security packages
- PriceFrom $99$35.99 per month for monitoring
- Money-back guarantee6 months and $500 theft protection guarantee
For a century and a half, ADT has been making Americans feel safer in and out of their homes. That’s a long-standing tradition of trust, reliability, and satisfaction that you can depend on. ADT manages this reputation by employing security experts who are dedicated to your safety and satisfaction. All equipment is put through rigorous testing before it is shipped out to you for either the same or next day delivery. When you have an emergency, you can reach out to ADT and know you’ll get an answer within seconds. What’s more, an ADT security expert will stay on the line with you until help arrives, so you are never alone in your moment of need.
But this service doesn’t stop once your system is installed. ADT goes above and beyond standard home security. This service offers a $500 theft protection guarantee in case your home is ever burglarized while the system is running. You also get an alarm monitoring certificate, so you can receive a discount on homeowner’s insurance, a 6-month money-back guarantee, a mover’s savings package, and 25% off additional sensors. Check out all the benefits homeowners can receive from ADT today.
- Calls answered within a few rings, no matter the hour
- ADT Go mobile app, cybersecurity, and smart home connectivity
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- Have to sign up for long-term contracts
- No do-it-yourself installation option
- Best forDIY home security solutions
- PriceFrom $14.99 per month
- Money-back guarantee60 days
True to its name, SimpliSafe offers home security solutions without the hassle. That means no annual contracts, easy DIY set-up, and build-your-own security packages that can keep you from spending money on features you don’t need.
It’s this agile, user-centric approach to home security that’s earned SimpliSafe accolades from publications like the New York Times, Cnet, and EndGadget. SimpliSafe’s protection services come at a competitive price, offer professional 24/7 monitoring, and require no long-term contracts. Meanwhile the equipment is cutting-edge and features a wide array of options such as entry sensors, motion sensors, smoke, water, and temperature sensors, HD cameras, and a base station equipped with a 90db siren.
While SimpliSafe does offer security packages, it also lets you pick and choose a la carte features and build a system that matches the characteristics of your home. You don’t need professionals to install any of the hardware, all of which comes pre-programmed, ready to use, and backed by a 60-day warranty.
- No long-term contracts
- A la carte security options
- Easy DIY setup
- Best suited to apartments and smaller homes
- Users set it up themselves
- Best forState of the art, high-tech systems
- PriceMonitoring starts at $29.99per month
- Money-back guaranteeN/A
While Protect America offers some neat tech to protect your home, if it’s advanced technology that you are looking for, look no further than Vivint’s Smart Home home security systems. The king of home automation, Vivint has some of the most sophisticated equipment and features of any home security system provider out there. With 24/7 professional monitoring, continuous video recording, and real-time notifications, Vivint keeps you up to date and safe no matter where you are. Get sensors for every situation possible from burglary detection to smoke alarms and water sensors.
Protect your house inside and out with smart outdoor cameras, ping cameras, and doorbell cameras that provide you with crystal clear video imaging at all times of the day or night. And there’s even playback DVR, in case you ever need it.
And when it comes to control, there’s just no comparison. Vivint offers a smart home app that lets you control your system even while on the go, at the office, or out of the country. You’ll also get a smart hub that syncs with smart home devices like Google Home, Amazon Echo, Nest thermostats, Element thermostats, Philips Hue, and more. See how safe you can feel with a reliable Vivint home security system installed in your home today.
- Wide range of smart home automation options
- Advanced technology equipment
- Fast response
- No pricing information published online
- Contracts are long and pricey
- Best forMulti-channel communication for peace of mind
- PriceFrom $14.99 per month
- Money-back guarantee /classic-quiz
One of the most impressive things about Cove’s home security system is its Triple Touch™ monitoring service. This 3-factor security feature offers one of the most resourceful solutions for alerting professionals in the case of a breakdown. It uses 3 tools–LiveAssist, InstaText, and direct phone call–to assure communication in the event of a break-in, thereby improving response times and opening up multiple channels of communication for the homeowner.
Cove’s 24/7 monitoring team works out of a UL-listed monitoring center and holds TMA Five Diamond certification. With Triple Touch™ monitoring, you can communicate with them via 2-way radios on the display panel as well as through text and over the phone. This provides many layers of safeguards that bypass many other home security systems and add an additional sense of protection and peace of mind.
Cove’s equipment is equally impressive. Easy-to-install wireless panels and sensors are wireless and feature tools such as medical buttons for seniors and self-diagnostic features that automatically test to ensure proper functioning. Cove offers a number of tools and sensors for the home, ranging from door, motion, and window sensors to smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. An impressive lifetime warranty on all equipment adds to Cove’s reputation as a reliable and customer-centric home security provider.
- Triple Touch monitoring provides multiple channels
- Trained and certified response team available 24/7
- Lifetime warranty on equipment
- Limited integration with other smart devices
- Mobile app only with premium plan
- Best forFlexible pricing plans with lots of features
- PriceFrom $34.99per month
- Money-back guarantee100% money-back guarantee
Frontpoint is a provider that is taking the confusion and complexity out of home security systems. For one thing, you can install the entire system on your own, no professional installation required. What’s more, Frontpoint offers several different plans to choose from. So, you can get exactly the kind of monitoring and equipment you need (and not pay for the unnecessary extras). Cellular connection makes this system even more appealing to most users, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back just seals the deal for Frontpoint customers across the United States.
Plans come with a lot of great features, including 24/7 professional monitoring, automated system checks, and remote access and control. Frontpoint also lets you set up unique user codes, so you can give access to varying levels of people at different times of the day or week (think dog walker, babysitter, or housekeeper). Opt for the higher-level plans if features like smart lock control, lights control, night vision cameras, motion-triggered alerts, and video and image history appeal to you.
- Plenty of equipment options to choose from
- Easy do-it-yourself installation option
- Build your own plan or get one ready-made
- 3-year contracts required
- Doesn’t support IFTTT
Blue by ADT
- Best forThose that do not want to commit to long term home security contracts.
- PricePreconfigured security systems from $109.19 to $349.99 Professional Monitoring Plans from $19.99 a month (ex. VAT)
- Money-back guarantee30 day trial period and 30 day money back guarantee (certain restrictions apply)
Blue by ADT is ADT’s modular, no term commitment required home security system suitable for the needs of both homeowners and those that do not want to commit to lengthy contract periods.
The company offers an advanced selection of hardware including features such as night vision and CO gas sensors. A fantastic and versatile choice.
- Built by a veteran company
- Outdoor and indoor security detection
- Modular or pre-configured packages
- Only paid plan features professional monitoring
- Thermal sensors are not available
- Best forComparing home security providers
- Money-back guaranteeVaries
SecurityPricer.com is a comparison site that provides free estimates from the top home security providers available. While it isn’t a home security provider itself, it allows you to compare prices, features, and capabilities from providers in your area so you can make the best purchase decision.
SecurityPricer is free and easy to use. Simply enter your address and answer a few questions about your security preferences, and you’ll be shown home security systems to compare. SecurityPricer allows you to view prices, equipment options, and even make online appointments with any providers that catch your interest. While the number of search results may vary based on where you live and what your needs are, the site is still a helpful tool that lets you view companies side-by-side and find the one that matches your needs and price range.
- Get free estimates of nearby home security providers
- Compare prices, features, and equipment
- Takes minutes to use
- Search results may be limited
- Must provide email and phone number
- Best forIntegrating with other smart home apps
- PriceFrom $9.99 per month
- Money-back guarantee60 days
A blend of smart technology, modern aesthetics, and DIY autonomy, Scout Alarm offers an innovative security solution for modern homeowners. From the sharply designed, easy-to-use equipment to the minimalistic DIY packages, Scout Alarm aims to leave the old baggage behind and provide home security services that skirt convoluted pricing packages and professional installments in favor of something more streamlined and user-friendly.
Scout Alarm’s equipment doesn’t need professional installation. The hardware is pre-programmed and only needs to be activated by pressing a button. The plans don’t require yearly contracts, meaning users can opt out anytime they like, and packages can be purchased pre-fab or built a la carte to meet the exact needs of the customer.
By far the most unique feature of Scout Alert’s home security, however, is its smart integrations. You can use the system with any of the big smart home technologies, including Amazon Alexa, Google Nest, and Phillips Hue lightbulbs. This smart technology has made Scout Alert especially popular with younger homeowners and the DIY crowd that prefers to have control over their own homes and operations.
- Integrates with smart home systems
- Accessible from any smart device
- No long-term contracts
- Not ideal for those who don’t use smart technology
- Some tech savvy needed to get the best results
Link Home Security
- Best forCustomizable packages and free installation
- PriceFrom $30.99per month
- Money-back guarantee30 days
Tired of complicated home security system setup or pricey installation fees? With Link Interactive, you don’t have to worry about either. This convenient home security system comes with handy peel-and-stick for easy installation in minutes. There’s no wiring or drilling, and it comes with step-by-step instructions. So, anyone can do it. Despite being so simple to install, Link Interactive offers some top security solutions, including high definition, full color, 1080p resolution cameras with infrared vision capabilities, 180-degree views, Bluetooth speakers, and 2-way communications.
Link Home Security systems are available with or without professional monitoring services. All systems are 100% cellular for stability and convenience, and you can include environmental protection devices such as smoke alarms, fire detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors to protect your home and family from these disasters. Link Interactive plans are affordable, and what’s even more encouraging is that you can sign up for 1-, 2-, or 3-year plans. Unlike other home security services, Link gives you the choice. Find out what else Link Home Security systems can give you right now.
- Smash and crash protection
- 2-way voice communications
- Great selection of home monitoring and safety sensors
- Customer service needs more options
- No professional installation option available
- Best forReal-time, human security guards monitoring
- PriceFrom $49.99per package
- Money-back guarantee30-day 100% money-back guarantee
Real human guards watching your cameras in real-time. That’s the tagline for Deep Sentinel home security systems. Between that and the impressive website, stats, and online reviews, if
Deep Sentinel doesn’t blow you away; nothing will. This home security service provides you with 24/7 professional monitoring. But unlike other services, Deep Sentinel doesn’t wait for your alarm to be triggered. It is watching all the time to ensure your home’s safety constantly. If there is ever even the possibility of intrusion, Deep Sentinel steps in, sets off an alarm, and speaks directly to the intruder. The security guard will also contact the police, so help is on the way instantly. Deep Sentinel has assessed the situation, intervened, and gotten in touch with the police in under 30 seconds.
Deep Sentinel home security systems come with state-of-the-art equipment, too. Each monitoring device comes with a 2-way speaker and mic, so the security guard can speak directly to an intruder, and you can speak directly with them. The cameras provide a 130-degree, super-wide view and are totally wireless with AI in the hub. The artificial intelligence hub can discern between potential threats like a human being or other objects passing like a leaf, dog, or a car driving by.
- Actual security guards monitoring all the time
- 2-way speaker and mic for real-time intervention
- Less than 30 seconds response and police contact
- No indoor monitors or cameras
- Pricey, but comes with a lot