Paying your employees on time and without any problems used to require a lot of work. But with convenient payroll services online, today’s employers are doing so with ease. What used to be a nightmare for the payroll administrator is now a simple task of clicking or tapping a few times to get things rolling. In fact, there are even payroll service providers that offer fully automated payroll runs. So, you can get all of your workers paid promptly and without a hitch without even lifting a finger. In times of economic belt-tightening, it’s important to be efficient as possible, and payroll services help you automate tasks that in the past would have cost you manpower.From the major corporate services to simple payroll services for small businesses, there’s something for everyone out there today. You just need to know where to look. If you’re tired of spending hours of time poring over the grueling task of crunching numbers and cross-referencing data frames, it’s time you stepped into the 21st century and got yourself a reliable payroll software. Here are 10 of the top payroll services and where they really shine.
- Best forSMBs, independent contractors, freelancers
- Price rangeFrom $6per month per person + $39 base month
- Benefits & HRMedical, dental, vision, 401k, commuter, 529
Gusto is one of the best payroll services for small businesses of today, and it’s also a good choice for freelancers and contractors. Providing automatic tax filing, a list of HR benefits, including health, dental, vision, college funds, 401k, and the ability to run unlimited payrolls, Gusto is a cost-effective way for businesses to streamline their monthly accounts.
It’s also nice that Gusto integrates with a lot of other applications, including accounting programs like QuickBooks Online, Xero, and FreshBooks. You can also sync your time tracking apps (like Time Tracker or Homebase) and expense management tools like Expensify to have an all-inclusive database for your accounts.
- Loads of useful integrations
- Fully automates payroll and taxes
- Good for contractors and freelancers too
- No 24/7 customer support
- Not all HR benefits available in all states
- Best forPowerful payroll services mid-enterprise biz
- Price rangeFrom $39per month + $6 per employee
- Benefits & HR401k, SIRA, SEP IRA, health, workers’ comp
ADP is one of the oldest payroll services online or off, which should tell you something about how much experience these fellows have under their belt. Offering a full range of HR benefits and services, payroll services, and time and attendance management, ADP is a professional payroll service for businesses looking for more than your basic software. From HR guidance, resources, and dedicated service managers to full tax compliance, reporting, and self-service capabilities, ADP has an impressive array of features and services on offer.
ADP will automatically calculate tax liability, withhold and pay taxes on your behalf, and handle all reporting and issuances, including W-2s and 1099s. What’s more, ADP doesn’t just stop at your local boarders. This payroll service handles issues in more than 140 countries around the globe.
- Professional, top-rated features and service
- Oldest payroll services online
- Full service, all-inclusive benefits & payroll
- Not as cheap as some competitors
- No pricing plans for really small businesses
- Best forSMBs looking for more than just payroll
- Price rangeQuote-based
- Benefits & HRHealth, retirement, onboarding, management
Paychex is a cloud-based payroll services provider that has plans for every size business but is particularly well-suited for smaller businesses up to 50 employees. Paychex Flex, the SMB-focused plan, lets you update the database via desktop or mobile dashboard, set automated rules, and run payroll quickly and efficiently. In fact, with self-service, Paychex lets your employees take the bulk of the data input off your shoulders entirely.
In addition to running payroll, Paychex will calculate, pay, and file all of your taxes from local to federal. Pay your employees with direct deposit, paper check, or pay cards – whatever works best for you. Paychex plans also include features like onboarding, HR analytics, and an events calendar for seamless calculations.
- User-friendly software anyone can run
- Great choice for small businesses
- Affordable without missing out on features
- Lots of reports options can be confusing
- New version launch takes getting used to
- Best forPayroll services with check printing, HR+
- Price rangeFrom $32per month + initial costs
- Benefits & HRHealthy, 401k, etc.
For over a hundred years, Deluxe has been a reliable check printing service for more than 4.5 million customers across the country. Keeping up with the times, Deluxe has expanded its business offerings to include extensive HR benefits and payroll services, as well. From restaurants to major corporations, Deluxe has developed a fully-automated system that allows you to quickly and efficiently run payroll each month, whether you are working with full or part-time employees or independent contractors that need to be paid on their own schedule.
Deluxe has a clean and efficient dashboard that’s user-friendly and intuitive. From here, businesses can run payroll, print reports, get department summaries, and set automated payroll rules, including federal, state, and local tax filing, new hire e-reporting, and employee self-service features.
- Customizable reporting feature
- Compatible with popular accounting software
- Secure online payments
- Not enough pricing info online
- Overwhelming options for new businesses
- Best forComprehensive general ledger-linked payroll
- Price rangeFrom $22.50per month + $4 per employee per month
- Benefits & HRHealth benefits
QuickBooks by Intuit is another well-known name that has recently stumbled into the payroll industry. A reputable accounting software, QuickBooks now offers payroll services that sync seamlessly with all of your accounting programs for a 360-degree inclusive service.
- Smooth onboarding support
- Extensive tax-filing features
- Fully integrates with your accounting software
- Not as customizable as competitors
- Not as many features included in basic plans
- Best forEmployee benefits
- Price rangeFrom $8per month per employee
- Benefits & HR401k, supplemental, FSHA HSA, commuter
Zenefits is an easy to use payroll service that provides self-service as its default for an easier and faster user experience. And while its payroll services are great, Zenefits really shines in the employee benefits department. You can get everything from employee medical, dental, and vision to life and disability insurance, 401k retirement funds, FSA and HSA accounts, commuter benefits, and more.
That’s not to say Zenefits doesn’t have a solid payroll services online, because it does. The payroll end is reliable and straightforward. Zenefits includes features like unlimited pay runs, garnishments, tips reporting, and contractor payments. You’ll also be able to get dynamic mobile paystubs via a user-friendly app.
- Extensive employee benefits
- Easy to use self-service dash
- Powerful business intelligence reporting
- Can’t do everything from the mobile app
- Bit of a learning curve
- Best forSmall businesses and independent accountants
- Price rangeFrom $36 per month + $4 per person
- Benefits & HR401(k), worker’s comp, health insurance
From its clean, easy-to-use interface to its single pricing structure, Onpay offers an accessible yet customizable payroll platform for small and growing businesses. Onpay may not be the biggest product in the payroll market, but it offers surprising depth and capabilities that allow businesses to streamline their payroll needs without much legwork.
For the payroll service itself, Onpay covers all the bases that a small business would need: the platform helps you easily do payroll for W2 employees and 1099 contractors, with automated tax filings and payments, and handles HR benefits, workers comp, and insurance for 50 states. Onpay also has an impressive slate of integration capabilities, allowing you to integrate time-tracking and accounting software that seamlessly syncs with the platform. In addition to all of that, the customer support team is responsive and adept at answering questions in a timely manner.
- Extremely accessible and user-friendly
- Integrations with Quickbooks, time-tracking software, and more
- Automated tax filing
- Not ideal for larger businesses
- Limited to US-based businesses
- Best forBusinesses seeking scalability
- Price rangeFrom $49per month, $3 per user
- Benefits & HR401k, child support, health
Paycor is not as well-known as the really big names like ADP and Gusto, but it’s managed to generate quite a following nevertheless. This is due to the fact that Paycor is a no-nonsense, feature-rich payroll and human resource management service that delivers on its promises. Paycor comes complete with features like direct deposit, convenient mobile app, optimized payroll processing, and customizable widgets, so you can do just about anything you want within the software.
One more thing businesses really like about Paycor is that it comes with a lot of the more sophisticated features that high-price range payroll service providers offer at a significantly lower price tag.
- Competitive pricing with room to scale
- Huge knowledgebase of human resources
- Strong reporting and analytics tools
- No pricing info published online
- Employee review process is clunky
- Best forHourly employees, retailers, SMBs
- Price rangeFrom $29per month + $5 per employee month
- Benefits & HRHealth, 401k, workers comp, pre-tax
Square is one of the best payroll services for small businesses on the market, particularly if you are already using Square for your point of sale needs. One of the least expensive options, Square handles all your payroll, comes with the usual benefits like health insurance and 401k, and has plenty of integrations to work with.
Square fully automates your payroll, and you can run unlimited payrolls throughout the month. You can track employee hours, import time cards and tips, and set and forget tax filing. And what’s more, Square is available throughout the United States. So, no matter where you’re located, you can access these payroll services online.
- Fast and easy software to use
- Run payroll multiple times per month
- Affordable and feature-rich
- Reporting feature is limited
- Doesn’t support all payment options
- Best forBarebones payroll service that’s easy to use
- Price rangeFrom $10per month, $4 per employee
- Benefits & HRHR management software
Yet another payroll services for small businesses, Patriot Software really makes things simple for everyone. The system is laughably easy to use, with all the important functions just a click or two away. Patriot Software payroll services come with printable W-2s, time off calculators, workers’ comp integrations, and full tax filing. There’s also free expert support, so if you’re ever stuck, there’s someone to turn to.
Patriot Software also keeps pricing simple. It’s just $10 a month for the base price and $4 per month per employee you add. Plus, Patriot Software offers a 30-day free trial and free setup support. So, you can have things up and running in no time, and test out the software without any financial commitment to see if it’s the right fit for your business.
- Convenient setup wizard for fast startup
- Affordable pricing plans
- Full tax compliance
- Add-ons make the price jump considerably
- No benefits included